- Share an early experience/memory you have of participating in the sacrament of communion. Is your recollection a more positive or negative experience?
- Have you ever participated (or not been allowed to participate) in communion in another church or denomination? What was your understanding of the theology behind the ritual (if any)? Did it cause you to appreciate the experience more, less or was it inconsequential?
- Do you think the sacrament of communion is an important part of a faith community’s worship? Why or why not? Do you think the sacrament of communion is an important part in our individual experience of God? Why or why not?
- How does it change your understanding of communion to realize that the language Jesus appropriated for this ritual was from the betrothal/marriage/wedding language contracts and relationships of the day? Does it seem irrelevant to us today? Why or why not?
- As a group, brainstorm some ways that your experience of communion could be more meaningful, individually and as a group. If you were to prepare (alone or in community) for communion beforehand, what might that look like? If there were follow-up after (small group or large group), what might that look like?
- Phone: 425.868.5186
- Mailing Address: 22522 NE Inglewood Hill Rd, Sammamish, WA 98074